Thursday, July 7, 2016

Growth Mindset: Do I Have It?

The focus for the coming school year is to learn and encourage a Growth Mindset amongst all staff and students.  As learn more and more about a Growth Mindset vs a Fixed Mindset I find myself evaluating my own present position.  I can honestly say that at one time I had a Fixed Mindset.  I would often find myself saying, "I can't do this.  This is too tough." Or when it came to change, I would often not see the value of that change and be apprehensive of conforming.  But as time goes on and the more I learn about a Growth Mindset I can see myself changing.  Although some changes or challenges may be tough, I look hard to see the value of the change or what is asked of me and try my best to change.

In a recent video in the Mindset, Motivation and Self Directed learning we see a gentleman about my age trying to ride a bike.  This is not a typical bike but one that has been redesigned to turn left when the handle bars are turned right and vice versa.  This gentleman is an adult and knows how to ride a bike but this particular bike has given him trouble.  But he was determined to conquer this task.  It took him 8 months to master this skill because his brain already knew how to ride a typical bike.  He had to rewire his brain to ride this bike which took him some time.  But he went into this with a Growth Mindset.  That coupled with determination gave him success.  His 6 year old son took on the same task.  It took his son 2 weeks to master this skill.  Why?  Because his son did not have the habit as strongly embedded in his brain.  The success of these two is credited also to the neuroplasticity of the brain.  The time difference in learning these skills is credited to the level of habit in riding a typical bike.  To help you understand what I am talking about I have included the video.

https://youtu.be/MFzDaBzBlL0

The brain is a powerful part of the body.  With a Growth Mindset, one can accomplish almost anything.  At times it may take longer to meet the goal, but with the Growth Mindset, it can be done.  And those with a Growth Mindset are much more enjoyable to be around.

Do I have a Growth Mindset?  The majority of the time I do and I have found that mindset allows me to feel more positive successful.  Because of the change in my mindset I foresee a successful school year for both myself and my students.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is one thing that I continuously do - is recognize when people (including myself) have a growth vs. fixed mindset. Do you think it would be helpful to educate our students on the notion of growth mindset and neuroplasticity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think it would benefit our students to educate them on the benefits of a growth mindset. To many of our students have a "I can't do that" attitude. If we increase their awareness on a growth mindset they are better able to change their own way of thinking. Some may think that they don't have a "math mind" when really we all do. Some just have to work harder or longer at it than others but math is possible.

    ReplyDelete