Monday, February 1, 2016

My Name is Tracy...and I'm an Addict

As I write this, I have completed my first, and hopefully, only 24 hour period without technology.  I went to bed Saturday night at 8:30 because I dreaded the thought and Sunday night at the same time so it would be over sooner.  I have always known I rely too much on technology and I have now proven that to be true.

Some things I learned:

  • I am on my phone constantly.  I will look at it without realizing I am looking at it.
  • 99% of my resources are on my phone.  
    • Phone book (Some kids may ask what that is.)
    • Calendar
    • Calorie Calculator
    • Social Media
    • Notes
  • I post on Facebook alot of things that people really don't care about.  Nobody really cares to hear about my frustration when I have forgotten my grocery list (on paper for this 24 hour period) at home because I couldn't use the note feature on my phone.  Or that I went to Fantastic Sam's for an "emergency" haircut and the lady who cut my hair would not stop making small talk.  
  • My alarm clock. Fortunately it was Sunday so I didn't need it but had it been a week day I would have had to purchase an alarm clock.
  • We don't own a single radio in the house.  It was pretty quiet here.  No Pandora, iTunes or Netflix.
  • On a positive note, I am more productive.  I was able to get alot of paperwork completed so I can now say my work is caught up at school.  I did have to use my computer to type up some reports.
  • Another positive, I was more connected with my family.  I now know why they say, "You are on the that phone all the time."  Because I am!  The weird thing is, I don't have this challenge at work.
  • I have often wondered if I have ADD or ADHD.  I can't stand in line anywhere without surfing.  I went shopping yesterday and had times I had to wait in line. I actually had to look at people or find other ways to entertain myself.
  • All of my coupons are on my phone!  I had to plan ahead so I remembered to take my paper coupons with me.
  • My phone has replaced my camera.  
  • I do not enjoy talking on the phone.  I text often.  I avoided conversations yesterday so I didn't have to talk on the phone.  
  • I may be less informed without my phone, but I will not die.
What do I plan to change?

I do plan to be more conscious of when I am using my technology.  When I am watching a movie with my husband, it is ok to put the phone down.  I think I will start the habit of turning my phone off when we are having quality time.  We are empty nesters, this is when life is really good.  I can't replace my kids with my phone. Other than that, I can't see things changing a whole lot  My phone has replaced many of my daily tools such as calendar, camera, etc.  It is so convenient to have this all in one spot.




1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it Tracy!! I am avoiding that challenge for a little while longer. It is so interesting how much our technology has an influence on our daily lives! But I definitely see the value in putting them away from time to time.

    ReplyDelete