Monday, April 4, 2016

Feeling Panicked

It is hard to believe but our cohort is down to the last few weeks of this course.  At this point, I am finding that I still have much to do.  There is only one assignment that is giving me trouble and has me losing sleep.  That assignment is creating a lesson that includes a global learning experience.

Going into this course, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  I had (and still do) every intention of connecting my students with students from another district.  The purpose was to allow them an opportunity to improve their social communication skills.  At the start, I was very hopeful and very excited about this lesson but as time continues, the excitement has turned to nervousness.  The nerves are not because I am worried about them doing it. It is more about finding a classroom teacher that is willing to work with me on this mission.  Since the planning of this assignment I have had three different teachers outside of our district who have expressed interest in connecting our students but have not been willing to follow through with the request.  I am not a procrastinator when it comes to my coursework but I do fear that this will put me in a situation where I will have to implement a Plan B.

There is somewhat of a bright spot in all of this.  By reaching out to teachers from other districts, I have increased my PLN.  I feel the teachers that have been willing to collaborate with me (who I have added to my PLN) are very credible educators.  I sense that the challenge is the same for them as it is for me-time.  We all have the same goals for our students but we have them in a different chronological order.  We are all on a different calendar.

So, as I continue to assess my situation it leaves me to wonder when do I give up on my original plan and resort to Plan B?  Time is not on my side.

3 comments:

  1. If you haven't already looked into it - I'd check out www.epals.com. It's worked well in the past. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a reminder... you do not have to find a teacher and connect your students to their students. You might have to let that go and create another connection opportunity. Below considerations for you. It should be something that amplifies what you are doing in the classroom already. Don't hesitate to contact me I would be happy to help you come up with ideas!

    1. Connect students and teachers inside the classroom
    2. Students collaborate with each other to create and share knowledge
    3. Publish student and teacher work locally and globally
    4. Connect students and teachers outside the classroom
    5. Connect students with experts around the world
    6. Students collaborate with others (outside of classroom) to create and share knowledge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follow Jen's advice! Your students can always connect in different ways for your Plan B.

    ReplyDelete